Monday, May 31, 2010

Strong Muscles and Bones

About a week ago I signed Kylie up for swim lessons. I have been telling her I wanted to sign her up for awhile and she had been really excited about until I told her I actually did it. She had a small panic attack and told me she would only get in the water with her floaties. I told her she couldn't use them and her teacher would help her learn how to swim without them. She was sure she would drowned and needed to wait until "she was bigger" to take the lessons. 

Thankfully a few weeks ago when we were in AZ Kylie and my mom had a good long chat about not being afraid to try new things. Kylie had decided that if she had strong muscles and bones and Heavenly Father and Jesus on her side she could do anything. My mom suggested that every night I  rub "strong lotion" on Kylie to help make her muscles and bones stronger. Kylie hasn't let me forget a night and this whole last week we have been focusing on being strong for swimming lessons and not being afraid to swimming without those floaties...

Well, I think it worked! Kylie marched right into the water and was off. As you can see the rest of her class kinda hung back on the steps at first while she confidently "swam" (as she put it) around in the water. 

Today they worked on floating, kicking and putting their heads under water. I am excited to see all she will learn the next two weeks and difference it will make in her swimming. I am proud of her and her willingness to get out there and do her best. And I am very grateful for my mom and her infinite wisdom!!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Your mom is awesome - and how brave is kylie

Joanne said...

Your mom is very smart! She will surely love the lessons.

Brittney said...

we started survival swim classes with both kids today. They cried the whole time, but so did all the other kids. We have spent the whole day telling Boston we are proud and how exciting that he goes back tomorrow. He told me he is not going back tomorrow.

Nicole said...

That is such a great idea - the strong lotion! I'm going to have to try that one.