Monday, January 3, 2011

Baby, It's Freezing Outside

The last few days have been insanely (OK, insanely might be a bit dramatic) cold around here! I have told a couple of my friends that I don't suffer through blazing summers to have to live through freezing winters...it's just not fair! 

On Saturday night, I got a call from one of my friends telling me her husband and just driven past our house and could see water spraying out of one of our pipes. Jeremy was gone, so I was very grateful when they agreed to come down and turn the water off. When I went out to look I couldn't believe how much we had flooded our backyard.  I told a bunch of neighbors that we were going to let the water freeze over night and then open up a skating rink the next day, but for a small fee because we now have to pay for a new pipe. 

Kylie was super excited to try out the skating rink. She was a little disappointed we couldn't go out and buy real skates, but she was willing to settle for her boots and try it out. She didn't make it real far before  hearing a few cracks and getting nervous, but I did get a few twirls out of her. 


Here is a little bit better picture of a lot more of the "skating rink"

THEN

This morning, I had a four year old come bouncing into my room saying, "Mom, Mom, look outside!"
 When I looked out and saw this...

 some serious snow!! I didn't know it knew how to snow like this in St. George.


Kylie was in love! She was so excited to go to school and then come home to play.


And "Snowflake" was the product of our play. The snow was perfect for packing and I think we used up just about every bit of snow we had on our lawn.

As you can see by the look on Jase's face, he hated every second of it!! We're not necessarily equipped for weather like this and his shoes were soaked and his poor little hands and feet were freezing. 

 Our goal was to have Snowflake still standing by the time Jeremy gets home from work so we can show her to him. She leans backwards a little bit, but Kylie has checked on her about a million times  to make sure she is OK. We're keeping our fingers crossed!!

6 comments:

Rogers Family said...

wow, that is so awesome! You got some great pictures. Great idea to charge a fee for the skating rink, lol.

luke and kourt said...

I thought your snowman was so cute when I drove by it today! I love the look of snow but I hate being cold too! I can't believe what happened to your stoneware, I bet that was a mess to clean up! Glad your all enjoying the freezing weather, you know, with the ice skating rink and all :)

Jamie said...

Looks like you made the best of the situation - I just grumble about how long snow clean up takes.

Nicole said...

I didn't know it snowed like that in St. George either. The snowman is super cute. When I bundle Trace all up to play in the snow, either his snow pants or his snow boots (or a combo of both) make it so he can't get himself up when he falls down. It's so funny!

Mills Family said...

Wow I have never seen that much snow in St. George...I lived their for a year when I went to school and I think it rained maybe twice the whole time i was there so thats crazy.
Snowflake turned out so cute I can't wait til I can do that with my boys, but right now they are so not a fan of snow at all, so hopefully next year.

Jami said...

How fun!! That is beautiful with all the snow!!! Looks like you had fun!! Can't wait till my Kiley can build a snowman!! :)