Thursday, July 21, 2011

Swimming Lessons


Today we finished up our two week session of swim lessons. I decided to do it through Dixie College this year because they had a class for Jase's age.  Kylie of course loved it all. Probably one of her favorite days was when she said they learned how to be a lifeguards. They each took turns rescuing someone  and were rescued from the water. She's pretty sure she wants to grow up and be a lifeguard/swim teacher someday. She also loved the dive boards and although she wouldn't show off her flip she managed a few twists and a pencil dive or two. 
Jase wasn't so sure about the whole situation at first. The first day he walk over to his class just fine, but as soon as Kylie walked past and said hi he lost it. But I was able to bride him with a sucker that day and he was fine. Day two wasn't quite as easy. He cried the whole lesson. Nothing I could do or say or bribe him with was going to make him like it that day. I was a little bit discouraged (mostly because I felt bad for his teachers and I paid a lot of money for these lessons and didn't want it to go to waste) after that day. So day three came and I got smart. I let him take his little foam football with him hoping he would like to have his own toy with him. As we walked over to his class he started to get nervous again but as I sat him in the water I reminded him of his football and he immediately threw it at his teacher who threw it back and a lovely friendship formed between Jase and "the boy teacher." And from there on out if he had his football and he didn't notice me too much he was a happy guy. He had some great teachers that were really patient with him and he grew pretty fond of them. They really liked him too!! I didn't get really great picture of him because I didn't want him to see me (and the zoom on my camera doesn't work), but overall swimming lessons were a success this year. They both passed their classes with flying colors and can't wait until next time. Kylie is excited to learn how to dive which she hopes to learn next year. 

2 comments:

Alexis said...

dang , they are both so cute and they look so much alike in that picture!! I am pretty sure Kylie found her sport!

Jamie said...

You are one smart mom