Friday, May 2, 2008

A Friendly Hello

Since Jeremy has such a long commute everyday and gas is so expensive he has been taking the car and leaving the truck for me to drive. It's just a little truck without a backseat so Kylie gets to sit up front with me. It's actually kind of fun to have her right next to me as we drive.
Well, yesterday as we were driving Kylie noticed a lady driving right beside us, she was in a truck also so it made her level with Kylie. Kylie looked over at her and started saying "Hi mommy, hi mommy, hi mommy," (I think she thinks anyone around my age must be called mommy too) and she was getting progressively louder trying to get this lady's attention. She REALLY wanted to say hi. After a few unsuccessful attempts she looks over at me with the most disappointed look on her face. She could not believe that this lady wouldn't say hi back.
Now, obviously this wasn't the lady's fault because she had no clue Kylie was trying to say hi, but at that moment I had this overwhelming feeling of disappointment also. Seeing the look on Kylie's face made me want to do whatever it took to get that lady to pay attention to her. If I would have thought that honking the horn, or ramming into the side of her truck would have helped I probably would have done it, but by this time the lady was ahead of us and we needed to turn. Kylie soon forgot about the whole thing and went back to babbling about something else and she was fine, but for some reason I have been thinking about this ever since it happened just the sad little look on her face and the overwhelming feeling of compassion I had for her. I have a feeling that was just a small glimpse of a lifetime of emotions I will face as a mom with my kids.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

That is so sweet. I laughed out loud. I feel the same way when Boston is working really hard to get someone to notice him. I find myself talking louder to get their attention. I can't decide if it's because I want to make Boston happy or show off my adorable kid.

Samantha said...

Andrea!!!! wow it is great to see you on here! Thanks for the comment and finding me. Wow, I totally was had flash backs of the good ole cp2ward days!! ha! You look great and your family as well.

The Carter's said...

Andrea!! It's Anne (spurrier) How are you!! You have sucha cute family!!! How are you?