Monday, October 6, 2008

Binki Rehab

This last week Kylie has undergone a rigorous in-home binki detox. She was only a night time and nap time user, but was very addicted. She seemed to treat them (yes she had to have two-one to suck on and one to hold) as a reward for going to bed, and we probably bribed her with them way to much. I have had the goal to get rid of them before the new baby came and I was beginning to worry that they were starting to affecting her teeth. I think Jeremy and I were just as attached to them as she was. They made taking naps and going to bed so much easier.

The first night (last Monday) was really hard, it was kind of heart breaking actually. We weren't necessarily going to take them away that night, but she was having a rough night and wouldn't stay in her bed, she was crying and wanted me to rock her to sleep so after fighting with her and trying to get her to stay in her bed I finally said "If you will throw your binkis in the garbage I will rock you to sleep." She immediately walked over to the garbage and threw one of them away, but I told her she had to throw both away. She just stared at me the SADDEST face I have ever seen on her, big tears in her eyes, her bottom lip curled out as she contemplated what she wanted to do. Then after a minute of thinking about it, she threw the other one away and ran into my arms. My heart was so broken for her. That was such a hard decision for her to make, but she did it and I stayed with her until she feel asleep that night. Each night has been better, and probably since the third night she hasn't even asked about them.


Although I am relieved they are gone, I feel like that was the last little bit of "baby" she had left. She constantly reminds us that she is a big girl, it's amazing how fast she has grown up.

5 comments:

Alexis said...

haha!!! at first I thought it said Bikini! lol

sagewillow said...

We should created a Binky anonymous group lol!!! I wonder if they put some kind of msg on those darn things. My girls are addicted.
I know what you are going through girl.

Penny said...

Kylie needs a Grandma rescue! It sounds like she is being treated very poorly. I might have to give "grandchild spoiled protective agency" a call to have them come and take a look around your house. Next you will be telling me she can't have all the candy she wants at Halloween! Boy, being a Grandma and hearing these stories is sad, very sad indeed. I am going to have to teach Kylie how to dial my cell phone so I can rescue her when her parents get these crazy ideas that she should be growing up. She needs a visit to Arizona for a little TLC!! (and a binki she left behind the last time she was here:)) love Grandma H

Joanne said...

Look out,, grandmas are tough!! I was just thinking how sad it will be for little Maggie to give her binky up. (although your little one seems ok with out it... Maggie has about 4 in her crib at night, its so cute, she likes to sit in there during the day so she can have them. Be sure to publish her Halloween pictures! You better check all packages coming in from Arizona,may be wrapped like halloween but could be Binkys!

Brittney said...

I thought it said bikini at first as well.
That broke my heart too, I have been so stressed about the binki issue, it's time to let it go. Boston only uses it for naps and bedtime as well, but I just dont' know how to end it. I like how easy it is to put him down.