Friday, December 12, 2008

To Make A Long Story Short...

I have these very ambitious plans to write in great detail the things that have gone on the last couple days and I actually had one post already written, but I couldn't get the pictures to go where I wanted them to and I was frustrated. So I just decided that I would  just write a brief summery and then later post the details. 

Each day seems to bring something new. My mom and I have said that we are to the point that we really hated waking up because we weren't sure what we would have to face. 

Tuesday morning (less than 24 hours old) we found out that Jase had developed what could be a life threatening blood infection. They weren't sure exactly what the infection was, but I guess it is pretty common for a baby like him to develop something like that especially since I had an infection also. They also were worried that the infection could be up in the fluid of his brain. They performed a spinal tap and the results came back negative. We were so relieved. They later discovered  that the infection was from e-coli. He is being treated with antibiotics and we have every reason to believe that everything will be fine with that. 

Also on Tuesday Kylie had a chance to meet her baby brother for the first time. I was a little bit nervous about how she would react to seeing him, but she did great. She is so excited that Jase is her's. She would gently reach in and touch him really quickly. It wasn't until I saw Kylie's hand next to Jase's that I realized how big Kylie was. Her hand looked so big next to him.  

Wednesday morning we were told that Jase was having bouts of apnea and over time his abdomen had been filling up with air and his lungs were being compressed because the air was pressing against them. They knew there was a problem when all the sudden his whole abdomen inflated like a balloon. His body was under so much stress that his vitals were dropping. They realized that his problem was more than what they were capable of fixing and he was going to require surgery up at Primary Children's Medical Center. My heart sank when I heard we would have to go up there.  After getting my permission they immediately starting getting everything arranged.  

Life flight arrived a little while later.  I went down to watch them get him all ready and it was such a huge ordeal. It took them 2 hours to get him stabilized and hooked up in the big contraption thing he would be flying in. I was so sad to see him all strapped in ready to leave. It was so comforting to know that Jeremy would be with him the whole time. It took two hours to get him from the St. George to Salt Lake and I was so relieved when Jeremy called and said they were there.

He was scheduled for surgery that afternoon.  They would have to go in and do exploratory surgery because they weren't exactly sure what the problem. It was probably one of two things. Either just a puncture in his stomach which they would just have to sew up and healing would be pretty easy or he could have something wrong with his intestine. In that case they would have to find the perforation and cut out the section of dead intestine and pull one end out of his body to collect the waste and he would have a bag outside his body. Then later they would have to sew it back together and put it back in his body.  Obviously we wanted the problem to be in his stomach.  I was on pins and needles waiting while he was in surgery to find out what the problem really was. 

I was more than relieved when Jeremy called and said that they had found was a 3/4 inch (which seems really big in such a tiny stomach) hole in his stomach and was able to just sew it up.  He'll have what Jeremy calls "the babe magnet" scar in the shape of a big upside-down V over his belly-button. Recovery time will be a lot quicker and easier.

Thursday morning they found that his right lung had collapsed. They put him on a ventilator to help with his breathing. Lungs repair themselves and it shouldn't take too long for that.

Friday we went to visit and they told us that the x-rays on his lung is looking great and that it has pretty much repaired itself already. My parents went to visit him tonight and he opened his eyes!!! I am so sad I missed it. I am so excited for all the good things to come and all the milestones we have to look forward to. 

We have been so blessed!! In every situation we have been in we have always come away with the best case scenario. They never found infection around his brain. We came away with only a hole in his stomach instead of his intestines.  He is one amazing little boy and we are so blessed to have him in our lives.   

We are so grateful for all the thoughts and prayers that have been offered in our behalf. We know that it is because of them that he is doing so well. 

Here are a few pictures that show what has been going on.
This was while they were getting him ready for his flight. They had taken off his head piece and I felt like I had a chance to see what he really looked like for the first time. He is holding Jeremy's ring in his tiny hand. 

This is the huge contraption he flew in. 

Here he is at Primary Children's Hospital. They made his a cute little name tag. I mostly wanted to show off his hair. It's dark and curly and luscious!!

We set a 20 dollar bill next to him to get perspective on how little he really is.

This is when Kylie met him for the first time. Our first family photo with the four of us. Too bad you can't see Jase's face.

15 comments:

Brittney said...

These are the times I regret moving from Utah. I know I can't fix it or make it better, but I sure could keep you company in the hospital. We could gossip til the cows come home. I'm sorry I can't be there for you Ange.

Wendi said...

Keep being positive! And let me know if you need anything while you are up this way!!

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness, this must be so hard on you. His hair is great and I can't believe how tiny he is. THe twenty shows it all! I have been checking your blog like crazy for an update. You are so amazing to be able to handle all of this. It is so amazing the technology that they have available to help these little guys. I'm so glad that his surgery went well. I will keep checking back for updates, U can't wait to hear how he is doing. Take care of yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Jeremy and Molly Horn said...

I am glad to hear that he is still working strong. If you need anything while you are up here please don't hesitate to ask. You are in my prayers. Keep us posted

Anonymous said...

He's a fighter!

sagewillow said...

Oh girl! you know what they say that The Lord never gives us more than we can't handle, You must be tough as nails. Keep being positive, we'll keep your family in our prayers.This too shall pass.

The Estes Family said...

what a rough week, he is super cute though and it sounds like things are improving, we are praying for you guys and I hope everything continues to go in the direction of recovery!

Joanne said...

I cried.... those pictures are precious. I cried.... when I read your account of the last couple of days... I cry when I think how blessed your little family really is. I feel honored to be part of your lives. Know you are all in my prayers, Little Jase is blessed to have such wonderful parents and a truly remarkable big sister. Keep the faith....Love you

Mills Family said...

Oh he is so precious and so little, well I am glad things are going okay with him, just hang in there he is definitley a little fighter.

Kristi said...

Oh Jeez!! WOW! He is so tinny! Im so glad that everything is well!!!

Letters-2-Lily said...

WOW, how crazy. He couldn't be at any place better than Primary Childrens though, they are amazing! Keep being strong, he's going to pull through, what a precious little guy! I'm praying for your family. Love you guys

Fullmer Family said...

WOW! My prayers are with Jase and you too. He is so precious and I love his dark hair!!
-Jillynne

Ann said...

Hey. Sorry to hear about everything that has happened. I'm glad things are getting better though. Just wanted to tell you I know a little of where you're coming from. Jasmine was born on the 5th with an infection as well. They also did a spinal tap on her and luckily no infection in the brain. She was in the NICU for a week with all sorts of things hooked up to her. She is home now and doing much better. We are praying for you and your little man! He is adorable and these little babies are so strong! I know he will blessed for the trails he has faced so early in life.

Darren said...

hey
Im so glad to hear that things went well at primary childrens. He is a little fighter!! Your in our thoughts and prayers. Love you so much. Love kez

Michelle Morse said...

Oh my heck Andrea! I should have been checking your blog sooner. I think you're doing a really great job of being positive about this whole situation. I'm so glad that your little one is on the road to recovery. Thank goodness for medicine today...miracles do happen. We will send our prayers your way for yours and Jase's speedy recovery. He's such a cute little thing:) Congratulations!