Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy 1 Month Birthday, Jase!

I can't even being to say how grateful I am that it is January 8th and not December 8th. Next year, well I guess this year, I will celebrate that day like crazy, but right now I am just so glad it is a month behind us!! Jase is actually 32 days old and its weird to think that my due date is exactly a month from today.


Lesson #472912747180: Everyday is different! Today I go up to see him and they are in the middle of a head ultrasound. I was a tiny bit alarmed wondering why they needed to do that. I asked the technician if they have done other brain ultrasounds on him and if this was just a routine thing. She said they had done one the day after he got there and then they routinely do them every 30 days. I was a little relieved until she left the room and came back with some other doctor. She then showed him some of what she was seeing. I started getting really nervous again. The doctor then said he was going to compare these pictures to the earlier ones and then get back to me.


Meanwhile, the Nurse Practitioner and the Neonatologist came to do rounds. They said that he is doing very well today. They took out his IV and bumped up his feeds to 34cc. The Neonatologist also said that as soon as we can get him nipple feeding at every feed he is good to go home. I started cheering inside when I heard that. After he left I asked the Nurse Practitioner if we should he worried about his little non-breathing episodes anymore. They seemed to have been a huge deal the last couple days and now they don't seem to even be a concern. He said that Jase is getting to about the age that some babies are born at and they are able to go right home and that most likely once he has his feeds down then the breathing won't even be an issue. I was cheering inside again! He also said that babies all the sudden just get it. Almost like a light turns on and their little baby instincts kick in. I can't wait for that to start happening.


A little later on he came back in and said that they have looked at the ultrasounds and it looks like there is a little white spot (according to black and white and gray ultrasounds) at the very front of his brain that they want to investigate further. He said that mostly likely when he was going through his surgery and fighting his infection he could have developed this spot. He said they have already ruled out that its a cyst and its definatly not going to affect his motor skills. He also said that if he was going to have a spot on his brain this would be the best place to have it. They aren't concerned, but just want to make sure its all OK. They will do an MRI on him next week. My nurse reassured me that if they really were concerned about it they would get him in for an MRI tomorrow, but since they are willing to wait she doesn't think it's any big deal.


I feel like today was a really good day. I feel like I really got some answers. I don't know if I just asked the right questions or asked the right people, but I came home feeling really good and optimistic about everything.

While I was holding him today he was wide awake. Usually when he is in my arms he sleeps, and the second I put him back in his bed he wakes right up. It was fun to hold him and talk to him and watch him look around the room. I wonder what he thinks as his eyes wander.



I was kind of at a funny angle taking his picture so he looks bald and his forehead goes on forever. He looks so much like Kylie did when she was a baby. Sometimes when he sleeps I look at him and I swear I'm holding her.


I have a picture of Kylie making this exact same face with her lips .

He LOVES his binki and he sucks on it pretty hard. I think its so funny how huge it is compared to his head.

I played with his hair today and gave him a mohawk. It's getting pretty long over his ears and I wonder if it would be inappropriate to bring my clippers in for a little trim.

10 comments:

Brittney said...

that binky is a riot totally cracked me up I can't believe he can even hold onto it

Jamey said...

Andrea, this is GREAT news!!! What a relief it will be when you can go home and be as a family again! I have to admit, that I usually check your blog before I even write anything on my own, because I am always curious about how you and Jase are doing. We pray for you everyday, I am glad that things are looking up for your family!

That binky picture really puts into perspective how little he really is! Wow - how funny.

The Estes Family said...

I'm so glad you got good news! Did you go home now or are you still in salt lake. Let me know!! estestaxidermy@live.com

sagewillow said...

is good to hear that they might send him home after he can feed, the picture of the binky is so cute those darn things are huge but a lifesaver.

Mills Family said...

Oh he is so cute and I am so glad he is doing better, thats really great that you might get to take him home soon.

Nicole said...

I'm glad you had a better day today. Just remember when you have bad days that you have lots of people thinking of you and praying for you and Jase. I hope he gets to go home soon!

Reid and Brittney said...

That is great news. I am so excited for you guys....I can't wait for him to be able to go home and to meet him at the wedding. He is so cute. I think he totally looks like Kylie. Way cute!!! I love his little mohawk. Happy 1 month B-day Jase!!!! Hang in there Andrea, it will all be over soon!!! Love ya!!

Darren said...

Hey Andrea
That picture of him with his binky is so dang cute!!! What a cute little guy he is!! I was reading through your previous post that talks about him stopping breathing and it reminded me so much of what my niece went through. After she was born she would stop breathing as well, and her face would turn blue. The doctors thought it was reflux also. Well, after many episodes of her breathing stopping, and a new doctor, they found out she had water on the brain. Once they new what the problem was, they treated her, and that was the last of the episodes.
I don't know if that is what Jase has, or if it's even close, but maybe the info will help in some way.
I'm so glad that he is doing better and that you get to take him home soon. Love you so much. Your in my thoughts and prayers daily. Love kez

Robyn said...

I am glad that he's doing well! He loves so WISE in those photos of him awake. What a doll!

Ann said...

I'm glad you had a good day with him. We are praying for him and for your family. I hope he continues to do as good as he is and that you will be able to go home soon. I also totally LOVE the binki picture! So funny!