Saturday, January 31, 2009

54 Days Later...

Jase is home!!! I can't believe he is actually here. I am so grateful this day has finally come. What a crazy few months this has been for us. It has been along week this week. It was hard thinking he was coming home on Monday because everyday I would go in so hopeful that they would tell me that that day was the day he was ready to go. Each day I would come home just a little disappointed.

On Thursday I went to see him and they had put a cannula back in his nose and put him on oxygen. I was a little bit sad that they had to do that again. He had done really well for about week without needed it, but had a rough day and night and they felt like it would be better if he had just a tiny bit of air. It seemed to help and I knew he could come home on oxygen if everything else looked good. That night Jeremy and our bishop give him a blessing to just help through the last few hurdles he needed to over come.

Friday morning I get a call from the discharge planner at the NICU saying he has done really well and it looks like he could go home with the oxygen. Once again I was so excited and also a little bit nervous because I wasn't sure how it would be with the oxygen. She also told me that they were going to send him home with a pulse-oximiter that would keep track of his heart rate and since he was coming home on monitors I would have to go and stay 24 hours at the hospital and take care of him while a nurse oversees everything. They wanted to make sure I could handle the monitors and take care of him also.

I stayed over Friday night in what was called a "family room." It was just a big hospital room with a queen-sized bed. They brought him into me and Jase and I just hung out! I didn't realize how much I was missing be not being able to REALLY take care of him. I got up with him every time he was hungry, changed his diaper, took his temperature and put him back to sleep. I'll be honest, I did forget how exhausting it can be, but it's part of being a mom and I loved being able to finally do that for him. Everything went really well throughout the night. The nurse would come in every once in a while to make sure we were OK. I expected to be there all day today to fulfill my 24 hours, but about 10:00 this morning a few different doctors came in and said everything looks good. Pack him up and take him home!!





This was his little corner of the NICU in St. George



Of course I had to take a few pictures while we hung out together on the bed
Kylie has done really well with him. She doesn't act really excited about him, but doesn't seem to not like him either. She is a very big helper and wants to do everything for him all by herself. After we got home today I was changing my clothes and getting ready for some of Jeremy's family to come over and Kylie comes up to me and says, "Mom, where are you going, to the hospital?" I was so happy to tell her I didn't have to go. She seemed pretty relived when I told her I didn't have to.

Just a few pictures for the grandmas...

Here he is in his car seat ready to come home. He now weighs 5 lbs 14 oz and has only grown 2 cm since we was born, so he is still about 16 1/2 inches. Is it weird to see a baby coming home from the hospital with his eyes wide open?

This is Ty and Jase. Ty is Jase's cousin and was born exactly a week after him. Ty is now about 8 lbs 6oz (I think). Jase will eventually catch up. The doctors say by the time he is 5 or 6 no one will ever be able to tell he was premature. Also genetics play the role in how big he will be someday not his prematurity.

I really can't even begin to express how grateful I am for all the love and support we have been shown while going through this. There is no way in the world we could have done this without the help of our family and friends. So many people have reached out to us and we will be eternally indebted to them! I have learned how important it is to let people help. Its just as important to let others serve as my serving other people. So many prayers were offered in our behalf and I know the hand of the Lord was there through every part of this. We have been eternally blessed and know that prayers have been answered. I am so thankful for the gospel and I know I can trust in my Heavenly Father and that he knew my needs and desires. My testimony has truly grown. I have also learned that Jeremy and I can get through anything together. I am so grateful for him and the support he was to me and his worthiness to give much needed blessings. I love my two little kids and I will take them anyway they come, whether it's 6 days late or 9 weeks early!

18 comments:

Kristi said...

Yea Congrats!!! I bet that is so exciting to have him home finally!! YEA!!

Brittney said...

Ange I'm so happy for you. Your testimony brought me to tears. No one wants to have their faith tried but I think you passed with flying colors. You are always in my thoughts.

Letters-2-Lily said...

Oh he's so cute! I'm glad he is home! I'm going private on my blog because I have a psycho stalker!! So will you email me your email address. My email is mkeller825@yahoo.com

Nicole said...

You made me cry this morning! I am so happy for you. Good luck with keeping up on your sleep now that he is home. :)

The Estes Family said...

You made me cry too!!! I'm so glad this is over for you and you can be at home with your cute little family, good luck with everything

Rogers Family said...

Congrats! I have been anxiously watching your blog to see when you would bring your little guy home. I am very happy for you. You have two adorable little ones. Thanks for keeping us all updated.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Yahoo! So glad to hear you could bring the little guy home.

I generally check out blogs and then give Jeff the breakdown of family and friends. Mostly he lets me do this to humor me, but during the past couple months he actually would ask me how your family was doing and if I had read anything new about the baby's progress.

We are both very glad to see Jase doing so well!

Good luck!

Mills Family said...

Oh he is so cute and I am so glad he is finally home.

Reid and Brittney said...

Yea, the long awaited moment has come!!! Woo hoo!!! I am so excited for you guys and I am so happy that you get to enjoy him by yourself and not have to drive to the hospital. I know you are just loving it having him home. He is such a cutie. I can't wait to finally meet this sweet little guy. He looks great, so tiny but great. Congrats!!!!

sagewillow said...

That is such great news!!! Congratulations!!! Don't worry about his weight in a year ppl won't be able to tell that he is tiny he'll catch up. Now just keep away from anyone that might have a cold, you wanna keep him as healthy as possible.

Roger and Tammy Family said...

Yeah to having him home!!! I am going to have to make a trip down to good ol St. George and see you guys.

Robyn said...

Yippy! I am so happy for you guys. What a blessing to be able to have him with you at home!! He is adorable!

Jamie said...

Your news completely made my day! Congratulations.

The Carter's said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment! We all have our fingers crossed that everything will work out just fine :) And I am so happy to see that Jase is finally home! What a cutie! You have been through so much and still have a long road ahead but you deal with it so well and I am so happy to see everything working out! YAY!!

Steffani said...

He is such a beautiful baby! I am so happy for you that you finally got to bring him home!

The Butterfields said...

I'm so glad you're all home together. Congrats!

Ann said...

I know a little of how good it is to say your not going to the hospital for once! Having a baby in the NICU is hard work. Although Jasmine was only there a week, I felt the same way about finally being able to take care of her! Congrats on finally having him home. We are so glad everything is working out and that the Lord is blessing you.

Michelle Morse said...

I'm so happy for you guys. Jase is a sweet little boy and I'm so glad that he is doing well and that you can finally do your mom duties for him. He's such a sweet little spirit:)