Monday, March 10, 2008

A Difference of 15 Degrees

Did I happen to mention that our lives are very unpredictable?!? This theory proves to be true once again. In Jeremy's quest to find a new job after graduating he put in application all over the place. Mostly focusing on Utah and Arizona, but a few in Texas, Colorado and Wyoming. I course, was sure I wouldn't be going to most of those places, but still he applies where ever he found a job that sounded intriguing. To find a job in the construction industry is pretty rough right now especially since building is down and there have been quite a few companies lay people off causing the field to be over saturated with qualified people. So, after many resume submissions and a few phone interviews (from Texas) that didn't seem too promising he finally got a call from a company looking to expand down to St. George asking him to interview.

Maybe I should let you know what our plans were at this point. We had our house under contract thinking it would actually sale, and Jeremy said he would try out Arizona. He didn't have a job there yet, but we thought maybe it would help to actually be there and he could network a little bit and get to know people. We would stay with my parents for a little while and then if things worked out we were maybe going to live in the Aunt and Uncle's house when they leave on their missions this summer. Perfect!! Perfect plan, it was going to be great. I was so excited. Finally a chance to live in AZ. Something I have been hoping for for a looong time. It was so close I could taste it.

Anyways, so Jeremy gets a chance to interview in St. George, and I am a little bit sick about it. I knew it was good because it was a job interview and who knows maybe it would be great for him, but secretly I was hoping it really wouldn't work out and our plan could continue forward. The very next day after the interview the guy calls him and asks if he wouldn't mind going up to Salt Lake to interview with the people up there. Now I am really getting worried. This may really happen. I can feel Arizona slipping through my fingers. I kept asking myself "Why is this happening now?" We had already made up our minds. Jeremy knew I was dying. He knew I was having a hard time. He just about cancelled the interview in SLC, but we both knew he shouldn't do that.

    He went up to the interview and did great. (They may make him shave his goatee…sad!) He really likes the company and thinks he will really enjoy the work he would do. Again I was secretly hoping he was going to be late for the meeting or something bad was going to happen, but of course it didn't.

    Well, another week has gone by and on Friday he was offered the job. During that week I have gone through a million emotions. I started out kicking and screaming not wanting anything to do with it; to finally realizing that it could be a really great thing for us. St. George is a nice place that will still keep us close to family, but also give us the chance to be our own little family.

    So, I guess to sum up this long story Jeremy starts his new job on March 31. In the mean time hopefully we can get our house sold and find a new place to live down there. It won't quite be like Arizona. I think there is a difference of 15 degrees in the weather, but as my dad put it maybe this will make Jeremy a little more accustom to the heat and eventually we can work our way down there.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

Oh Ange, my heart goes out to you. We have been there. YOu are already ahead of me though. You trust the Lord so much and make the best of it. But one good thing about it, being with just our family brought us a lot closer together. With out any influence at all, even postive, from extended family made us rely on each other more than ever. It will just make your little family stronger.
Tell Jeremy we're so happy he found a job. It is a rough market out there and it just goes to show how talented he is.
Jeez, I miss you so much. You would think keeping up this way would help but I think it just makes me miss you more.

Jeff & Liberty said...

Congrats on finding a job! What a time you guys have had.

...St. George sounds nice...there may be a chance I end up in South Dakota! Yikes!

Millie Killpack said...

Crazy changes, ups and downs. I'm proud of Jeremy, and I'm proud of you for being open. Good luck.