Friday, April 2, 2010

"Remember Girls, What Goes Down Has To Come Back Up"

That was the first thing my mom said to us as we started our 9 mile hike down the Grand Canyon towards Supai.

My mom, two of my sisters, Ashley and Amanda and I, along with about 11 other women spent 4 days amongst some of the most beautiful things in nature I have ever seen.

The hike down took us pretty much a full day. We took our time as we enjoyed  each other's company the beauties that surrounded us.




The long day definitely called for something refreshing. Nothing better then a giant Otter-Pop to do the trick.

As we walked through the village we were amazed at what we saw. It's definitely a whole different world down there.
It was super fascinating to watch the helicopter. It takes 4.5 minutes to fly to the top and land. The natives use that and mules to get EVERYTHING they need down to them.


We went to church Sunday morning and meet the most amazing couple. They flew down just to provide sacrament meeting that day. Thank Goodness we were there because only one other person showed up. The church was tiny, but had everything we needed. It was a really neat experience!
The rest of our time was spent exploring the falls, caves and mountains.


We were even pretty willing to scale some serious mountainsides to get to some beautiful falls.



It was very worth it though

Some water was deep enough to dive in. It looked freezing to me so I didn't participate, but those who did looked like they had a great time.

These were the very last falls we saw and they were by far my favorite. I thought they were beautiful I think mostly because they were surrounded by green. We climbed up really close to them, sat on a rock and watched them. They just seemed so refreshing to me.

This whole experience just reminded me of how blessed we are to live on this earth. I know I don't appreciate it like I should all the time, but it's beautiful and this was a good reminder for me.
Last of all, was our hike out. It was a doozy. The 9 miles down turned into 9 miles up. It wasn't too terrible until the last mile which were killer switchbacks
But we survived and made it out. (Don't judge us we look terrible, but we are alive and still have all our toenails)

And last but not least, I do need to give a shout out the mules and horses that carried our stuff down and back out again. If it wasn't for them we never would have made it!

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow!! What a fun few days you all had, I wish I could do that, I would have to fly out! I am so glad you could all do it together.

Jamie said...

Gorgeous photos! What a great adventure and how fun to do with your mom and sisters.

Karlie said...

What an amazing experience!!! Love love the pictures thanks for sharing, wow.

Reid and Brittney said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!! You took a lot of fun pictures as well...so fun!!! Glad you got to go with your mom and sisters!!!